Vermont Pipeline 101
Vermont Gas Systems' Addison Natural Gas Project is a multi-phase, statewide expansion of Vermont's natural gas pipeline network. If built, it would be the largest build-out of fossil fuel infrastructure in Vermont in 50 years. For a general introduction to the project, read our Vermont Pipeline white paper.
Vermont Gas applied for its first permits for this project in 2012. Since then, folks from across the state have formed a powerful resistance movement. For the newcomer, below is a curated list of news articles, press releases, and opinion pieces that document the history of the project - and our collective efforts to stop it.
- News Articles
- Seven Days: Hinesburg Selectboard Scraps Vermont Gas Agreement - 03/22/16
- Seven Days: Hinesburg Residents Scramble to Keep Gas Pipeline Out of Park - 03/09/16
- Burlington Free Press: Gas Pipe Through Park Worries Hinesburg - 02/29/16
- VPR: Is The Public Service Department Serving The Public? - 02/26/16
- WCAX: Gas pipeline protestors disrupt PSB hearing - 02/19/16
- Williston Observer: Williston family gears up for eminent domain fight - 02/18/16
- VPR: Vermont Gas Won't Say If It Fired A Major Pipeline Contractor - 02/17/16
- WCAX: Hinesburg residents raise questions about Vt. Gas construction project at park - 02/15/16
- VPR: State Launches Eminent Domain For Vermont Gas Pipeline - 12/02/15
- VPR: Arrests After Multi-Day Pipeline Protest In Montpelier - 10/26/15
- Burlington Free Press: Hundreds Protest Pipeline In Montpelier - 10/24/15
- VT Digger: PSB Takes Another Look At Vermont Gas Pipeline Project - 06/22/15
- Addison Independent: Vermont Gas Admits It Kept Regulators In The Dark On Pipeline Cost Increase - 03/14/15
- VPR: Vermont Gas Cancels Second Phase Of Pipeline - 02/10/15
- Burlington Free Press: Public Service Board To Reconsider Pipeline Project - 01/22/15
- WCAX: Vermont Gas Announces 40% Cost Increase For Gas Pipeline - 12/19/14
- Addison Independent: Vt. Gas raises Phase I Pipeline Cost Estimate Again - 12/19/14
- Burlington Free Press: Pipeline Protesters Arrested In Building Occupation - 10/27/14
- VT Digger: Price Tag For Vermont Gas Pipeline Projects Jumps $35 Million - 07/03/14
- Click here for VPR's archive of news stories on the pipeline
- Press Releases
- Opinion Pieces
- Food and Water Watch: An Introduction to Fracking
- The Potential Health Impacts of Hydraulic Fracturing - 05/26/11
- Bamberger, Michelle and Robert E. Oswald. "Impacts of gas drilling on human and animal health." New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy.
- Information from NYRAD (New York Residents Against Drilling)
- A brochure from NYRAD about local impacts of fracking.
- Various fracking fact sheets from Frack Action.